This flavorful easy dish for Thai Tempeh Noodle Skillet calls upon protein-rich tempeh, along with brown rice noodles and a vibrant Thai-inspired dressing, to create the ideal meal in one. Plus, it’s completely plant-based (vegan) and can be whipped together in under 30 minutes. It’s easily made gluten-free, too. The flavorful combination of bell pepper, mushrooms, tempeh, greens, and brown rice noodles, along with a rich sauce of red curry paste, light coconut milk, soy sauce, and peanut butter come together beautifully in a recipe that everyone loves.
While I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to Thailand and learn more about this country’s beautiful, plant-based foodways, I am not a true expert in this cultural cuisine. Check out the work of Laela Punyaratabandhu, who is a food writer and cookbook author, and expert in Thai diet patterns.
Get this delicious, savory, vegan noddle skillet—filled with rice noodles, tempeh, veggies, and spices—on the table in under 30 minutes.
Stir-Fried Vegetables and Tempeh:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces tempeh, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 bunch greens, chopped (i.e., mustard, spinach, or chard)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
- To make the stir-fried vegetables and tempeh: Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok and sauté pepper, mushrooms, tempeh, garlic, ginger, and greens for 8 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make the sauce: Mix together coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, red chili flakes, soy sauce, peanut butter, agave syrup, and lime juice in a bowl until smooth and set aside.
- Make the noodles: Bring the water to a boil and add brown rice noodles, cooking according to package directions (about 2 minutes). Do not overcook. Rinse and drain noodles and immediately add to the skillet along with the sauce and chopped greens.
- Stir together gently, until heated through and greens are wilted (about 1-2 minutes). Do not overcook.
- Garnish with toppings: chopped green onions, cilantro, and peanuts. Serve immediately.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free soy sauce and tempeh.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 377 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: vegan skillet, thai skillet, easy vegan dinner, one dish meal
For more plant-powered one dish meals, check out some of my favorites:
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowl
Moroccan Chickpea Freekeh Eggplant Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.